For Beacon, you will need either a dedicated shortcode or longcode. The shortcode is typically a 5 digit number, while longcodes are longer.
Many companies might want to give you a shared shortcode or longcode— this means that you share a number with their other clients. However, this typically won’t work with Beacon because sharing means that text messages will have to contain a special keyword to tell the company where text messages need to be sent. This will disrupt the normal workflow of Beacon.
Also, it’s important that the shortcode or longcode be two-way. This will allow Beacon to both send and receive text messages to and from responders.
Other relevant questions include:
- Do you offer demo shortcodes/longcodes so we can make sure that it will work with Beacon?
- If there is an application process, how long will it take to get a shortcode/longcode?
- Will the shortcode/longcode work with all mobile phone carriers in this country?
- Is there a limit on the number of text messages or characters per text message that we can send through the shortcode/longcode?
- Can you provide info on pricing?
- What are the setup costs?
- What are the monthly/annual costs?
- What are the costs per text message sent?