To edit your map
- Click the Map Editing Toolbar Icon to expand and access the map editing tools.
- Create Landmarks — Landmarks include things like hospitals, stations, parks, and places of worship
- Create Paths — Paths include things like evacuation routes, detours, and closed roads
- Create Zones — Zones include things like floods and coverage areas
- Create Hazards — Hazards can include downed wires and downed trees
- Edit Marker Position — Select the tool and then click on the indicated map marker to change the location of Landmarks and Hazards or adjust the position of Paths and Zones
- Delete Marker — Select the tool and then click on the indicated map marker to remove it
- Display Marker Info — Clicking on any map marker will display more details, as entered by Dispatchers
- Edit Info – Click here to edit the map marker text
- Map Marker List — All map markers will be listed here, split into two groups: Transport Destinations and all Other Locales
- Marker Icons — Clicking on any icon in the map marker list will center the map view on that marker’s location
*Note: All edits made on the map will also show up on the Beacon Responder mobile app. If an edit is made to the map while the responder has the mobile app open, they will have to close and re-open the app to update their map.
Landmarks are fixed points of interest. Beacon maps have two types of Landmarks:
- Transport Destinations – e.g., hospitals, shelters, clinics, staging etc. When Transport Destinations are added to the map, they’ll appear in the Transport Destination List for responders who are using the Patient and Animal Transport Responder Type
- General Landmarks – e.g., Fire stations, ambulance quarters, AEDs etc.
To add a Landmark to the map:
- Click the Add Landmark button
- Find the desired location on the map and click where you want to add the marker
- Select the Landmark Type (General landmarks have customizable colors — Transport Destinations appear as gray buttons)
- Add the Landmark Name
- Click Create
Special Feature: “Return To Scene” Landmark
Mass casualty incidents may require that ambulances return to the scene after transporting patients to a hospital in order to collect more patients. To accommodate these special events, we’ve included the Return to Scene landmark. Dispatchers should use this map marker when there is a mass casualty incident that will require multiple transports so that Responders can be directed back to the scene by clicking Add Transport Leg in the mobile app after they complete their first transport.
Watch this video to see how it works in practice.
Paths are linear routes and/or lines that can be used to represent macro-level paths (e.g., hurricane trajectories, tornado paths) and/or micro-level paths (e.g., detours, evacuation routes, “hot spots”)
To add a Path:
- Click the Add Path button
- Click where you would like the path to start
- Click on the map to add vertices
- To finish the path, click again on the last vertex you placed
- Select the Path Type from the dropdown
- Enter the Label Name (required) and Comments (optional)
- Click Create
Zones are polygons that represent areas of interest (e.g., flooding, catchment areas, hot/warm/cold zones).
To add a new zone:
- Click the Add Zone button
- Place the first vertex where you want the zone to begin
- Click to add additional vertices
- Close the zone by clicking on the first vertex placed
- A Description Box will appear after you’ve finished drawing the zone; select the Zone Type from the dropdown
- Enter the Zone Label (required) and Comments (optional)
- Click Create to finish
Hazards are similar to Landmarks, in that they are fixed points of interest. The difference is that Hazards are expected to be temporary and use different colors so that they are easily identifiable by Responders in the mobile app map.
To add a Hazard to the map, follow the instructions for adding landmarks.
Editing and Deleting Markers
To edit map markers:
- Click the Edit icon
- Click the Map Marker you want to edit
- If you want to edit the Label or Comments, click the Edit Info button and then make your changes
- Then click Update Info (not shown)
- If you want to change the shape of Paths and Zones, click on the vertices you want to change and then drag them where you want to re-position them. Or, if you want just to re-position a Landmark or Hazard, click and drag the map marker to the desired location
- When you are finished making edits, click the Refresh button to make sure they have been updated and saved
To delete map markers:
- Click the Delete icon
- To delete Landmarks and Hazards, click on the map marker you want to delete and it will disappear
- To delete Paths and Zones, click on the line segment or zone area (but not the map marker itself) and it will disappear
- Click the Refresh button to save your work and confirm it’s been saved